Another primary Tuesday, which means another day and night and next day and whole week during which the Establishment Media will furiously peddle the Conventional Wisdom - always conventional, rarely wise.
And here it is: "On a great roll of several straight primary and caucus wins, B. Hussein Obama's MOmentum is now so great - and Mrs. Clinton's slump so deep - that Obama appears cruising toward ultimate victory over Clinton(s)."
But is probably wrong.
Today Clinton chief strategist Mark Penn (with whom your host advised major campaigns years ago) has released a sobering - and, more to the point, realistic - assessment of where this campaign really is by telling us Where It Is Going.
Penn's Points are, in summary, as follows (verbatim): And this is a True/False Quiz...
1. "The GOP Attack Machine Will Re-Define the Democrat; Hillary Has Withstod That Process."
2. "Sen. McCain Will Run On National Security. Clinton Wins That Argument."
3. "Sen Obama's Negatives Will Rise; Hillary's Are Already Factored In."
4. "...Sen Obama's Coalition Will Be Tested; Hillary's Coalition is Stronger."
5. "Current Poll Numbers Don't Tell The Story of What Will Happen."
6. "Hillary is the Best Candidate to Take On Sen McCain and defeat him."
#2. Not merely False, but hallucinatory.
#4. By history, True...But if the Young and African Americans vote in record numbers, and First-Time voters and Independents flock to him, Utterly False.
#5. Totally True.
#6. (See # 4, above.)
P.S. Can't wait to see what the NON-VOTERS of Washington D.C. have to say tonight, can you?